Short-term aged care
We provide premium respite care, in a friendly, progressive environment designed to make our residents feel right at home.
Our respite service is provided in our premium residential aged care communities, set amongst the trees at Merrimac and Ashmore on the Gold Coast. We cater for all types of respite care needs, including palliative care and memory care.
What is respite care?
Respite care (also known as short term residential care) offers families welcome support so often needed when caring for a loved one at home. It can allow a caregiver to enjoy an extended break or holiday for a few weeks at time. It can also provide the additional care needed during challenging times, such as when recuperating after an illness, operation or fall.
How do respite residents live?
Our guests enjoy choice about how they run their day and how they are cared for, just like they would have if living in their own home. Medication and aged care services are provided in the privacy of their room and the HillView team enable and encourage each resident to remain as independent as possible.
Our respite guests also enjoy a wide selection of five star meals prepared onsite by our chefs, and are invited to participate in the many events, outings and everyday activities that are organised each week. We warmly welcome visitors, including friends and grandchildren and have many lovely spaces residents can use to entertain their guests.
The HillView difference
HillView is an extra services community, which means we provide our respite guests with premium services, superior quality rooms and communal spaces, and exceptional facilities. This makes our communities feel more like high quality hotels than a traditional aged care home. Perhaps this is why our respite guests keep coming back!
Some highlights include:
- Each room enjoys a private ensuite and individually controlled air conditioning.
- Hair and beauty services available on-site
- Café on site in Merrimac
- In room technology
- High security
- Quality medical team
- Plenty of lovely garden areas to enjoy
- Views or gardens from many rooms
Delivering excellence in respite care
You will not find a team more passionate and dedicated to providing excellent care. We respect our residents’ preferences and support their independence. In addition, we do everything possible to make our residents feel right at home.
HillView is privately owned by a medical specialist who understands first hand how to deliver excellence in care and respond to changing needs. This flexibility allows HillView to run a highly effective staffing mix that delivers excellent service to our residents, their families and medical teams.
A snapshot of the respite care process
Arranging respite care for the first time can be a little overwhelming. We are here to help. We can assist with the application process and answer any of your questions.
- Your loved one needs to be assessed: Make contact with My Aged Care and you will be referred to the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). The team will make their assessment and then put approvals in place for your loved one to enter respite care.
- Respite Care is a short term care option. With an ACAT assessment you are entitled to up to 63 days of respite care per financial year at any Commonwealth-funded residential aged care facility.
- Respite places are made available in residential aged care communities based on room availability.
- Providers charge a standard basic daily care fee for respite care. HillView also charges an extra services fee that covers the provision of its premium services and facilities.
- The government may provide funding assistance to help cover the cost of respite care, but the amount of assistance will vary depending on each person’s circumstances.
Some helpful links
For more information on booking an assessment call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.